Thursday 14 April 2016

THE SILENCE OF GOD! BY PASTOR (DR.)E. O. ABINA

From Pastor (Dr) E. O. Abina,
The General Overseer of GOFAMINT

THE SILENCE OF GOD!

“How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death; Lest my enemy say, "I have prevailed against him"; Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved. But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me” (Ps. 13).

The Christian’s life is full of challenges, just as it was with the people of God before we were born. The desert journey of the children of Israel was not an exception. Even the life of Abraham also was full of challenges. David, the man after God’s own heart had his own share of this subject matter – the silence of God. Sometimes at Christian journey, we feel the presence and the blessings of God flowing and coming; in our favour. Other times we pray, pray and pray, and it appears nothing good is in sight because there is no quick answer to our prayers. Then we are tempted to think that God is silent and has forgotten us entirely. Sometimes, we are also tempted to give up praying, thinking that God has shifted His care and mercy for us to another place and that may lead us to be helpless, ungrateful, lukewarm and resentful, if care is not taken. When David felt that God seemed not to heed his cry to defend him from his enemies, he cried, How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? But he did not end up in despair. He ended up by saying; I have trusted in Your mercy, My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. I will sing to the LORD. Because He has dealt bountifully with me.
This shows that David did not totally lose hope in God. This should be the true picture of a child of God – to always trust in God’s mercy. Perhaps you are now passing through or experiencing the kind of situation similar to that of the psalmist. You have felt that your enemy seems to prevail over you, You had fasted, prayed but the situation seems to know no change and you think the option is to give up, that God is no longer mindful of you. This message is for you.

Remember, when Lazarus was sick, Mary and Martha sent for Jesus to come quickly but He did not come until Lazarus died and was buried four days before He showed up. Did Jesus forget the matter in those four days? No. Did He give any thought to the message of Mary and Martha? Of course yes but Mary and Martha did not know that until He showed up and when He showed up, they thought His coming was too late, for them it was, but for Jesus it was not; though He intentionally delayed His coming to the scene so that God may be glorified which of course did happen, see (John 11:1-6, 38-44). Our text shows that Jesus did not forget Mary and Martha. At last, and in His own time, He came and Lazarus came alive. God and Jesus His Son were glorified. You should understand that the raising of Lazarus from the grave was a unique miracle among many miracles the Lord Jesus performed. It shows that the resurrection of believers in Christ is sure and that Jesus has power to raise dead believers from the grave, read John 5:25-30,50. Whenever you feel that God is silent to you, remember that:

(a) delay is not denial

(b) a thousand years is just like a day with the Lord )II Pet 3:8)

(c) trust in God’s faithfulness

(d) take Him at His promise, “For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you (Heb. 13:5b)

(e) cast your mind back to the times you have enjoyed His goodness.
Then wait patiently for Him, keep on praying, keep on trusting and keep on believing, at His own time, He will surely give you the godly desires of your heart and His name shall be glorified. God’s time and timing is the best. Therefore, I want you to heed the psalmist advice in Ps. 37:3-8: take his counsel and you will have a testimony to share in the end and others will join you in praising the Lord. “…weeping may endure for a night. But joy comes in the morning” (Ps 30:5b). Remain blessed in Jesus name.

Prayer Points

1. O Lord, do not hide your face from me

2. Father, don’t let me miss your timing for my life in Jesus name

3. O Lord, don’t forsake me as I patiently wait for You in this month of good success in Jesus name.

No comments:

Post a Comment